Recent Audio Book - First Life - Discovering The Connection Between Stars, Cells, and How Life Began

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Social Networking

This may be not so amazing to many of you out there, but I've recently become aware of a great way to stay connected with others in the field of voice acting - social networking.

Yeah, I know what you're saying - where have you been for the last few years? You have to realize that I tend to be a little behind the times, but since this blog is about my journey, I figure I have to be completely honest about the progress I'm making.

For those of you who haven't yet discovered social networking, check out sites like Facebook and Twitter. At these sites you can create a personal profile and post information about yourself. It's a great way to stay in touch with friends you might not otherwise communicate with. It's also a fantastic way to let your network of friends know what you're up to.

Just the other day, I posted a comment about my home recording studio that I just built. The day after I posted this comment on Facebook, I happened to get a friend request from someone who I hadn't seen in a while. I accepted her request and she was then able to go to my account and see what I was up to. That day she sent me a message telling me that she hadn't known I was a voice actor, had checked out my website (which was posted on my account) and said she might like to use my services for some ads she was going to be producing soon.

And the best thing about social networking is that it's free! When your starting out in the voice acting business, free is a good thing. Geurilla marketing, and thinking outside of the box are essential to getting the word out about the services you provide.

One word of advice - keep your postings short and sweet. No one really wants to hear every detail about your life. If one of your friends wants more information about your post, they can send you a message. Don't take too much advantage of these sites or you'll annoy people. Just keep your freinds in the loop on what you're up to.

I've really enjoyed using these social networking sites to stay in touch with old friends,and make a bunch of new friends who are passionate about the things that I'm passionate about. The world is truly getting smaller and smaller, and we all have so much to share.

So get out there and make some new friends. You never know who may need your services or who may have a great idea for you on how to learn more about your passion.

Keep Talking!

-Michael

http://mlenzvoice.tripod.com/

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like I may have to change my opinion of Facebook. >,-) Well, used as you suggest, at least.

    And I really applaud your suggestion of Keep Posting Short & Sweet. Some places are right for chatter. Some places are not.

    Suppose I should wander down into your new studio, some time. Is there a necessary password? Do you need photographs taken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey There. I found your weblog using msn. That is a very
    well written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I will definitely return.
    Also see my web site :: secretstogetherback.com

    ReplyDelete